Two men charged with killing armored truck guard, then fatally shooting accomplices in ‘murderous spree’ on South Side

Two men have been charged with killing an armored truck guard and critically injuring another, then fatally shooting two accomplices in a “murderous spree” through the South Side on Monday morning.

Antwon Montgomery, 19, and Deandre Jennings, 21, each face charges of first-degree murder, attempted murder and attempted armed robbery in the attack on the armored truck guards, Chicago police announced Wednesday.

The men were also charged with two counts each of first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of two accomplices about an hour later in the South Chicago neighborhood, police said.

The guards had been loading an ATM at a Bank of America branch in the 200 block of West 83rd Street around 10:20 a.m. Monday when four people approached in a car and three of them — including Montgomery and Jennings — got out, demanded cash and opened fire, police said.

LaShonda Hearts, 47, was struck six times and taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where she died. The other guard, 46, was shot twice and taken to the same hospital in critical condition, police and fire officials said.

“This brazen attack occurred in the daylight hours as part of a murderous spree,” Chicago police Supt. David Brown said in a news conference.

Following the attack, Montgomery and Jennings drove to a strip mall in the 6700 block of South Stony Island Avenue where one of the men robbed a Boost Mobile, police said. Montgomery faces one count of armed robbery and one count of unlawful restraint over his role in the robbery, police said.

About 11:30 a.m. officers were called to a traffic crash where shots had been fired in the 8700 block of South Saginaw Avenue, police said.

Officers found a car that had struck several parked cars and a tree. Two men inside, the driver and front-seat passenger, had been fatally shot, police said. Brown said the two were accomplices in the attack on the armored truck.

One of the men was pronounced dead at the scene, while the other was pronounced dead at the University of Chicago Medical Center. One of them was identified as Naiqwon Harper, 21, of Englewood.

Inside the car were several cell phones robbed from the Boost Mobile store, police said.

Later that afternoon, a SWAT team was called to the same block for people barricaded in a building, police said. Several people were taken into custody, and Montgomery and Jennings were charged, police said.

Officers later obtained a search warrant for the building and recovered several handguns and a long rifle, police said.